In 1852, over one hundred and sixty years ago, the firm of T.J. Hickmott was founded at 41 Victoria Road in Tunbridge Wells, Kent. The name changed to E.R Hickmott & Son when Timothy’s son Edward Richard took over. Sydney Richard, Edward’s son became the next director. During the first World War, whilst serving with the Royal West Kent Regiment, he was fatally wounded at Ypres. Sydney’s father looked after things until Edward Richard’s grandson R.S.K. (Keith) was old enough to take over. In 1939, as WWII began, Keith volunteered as a bomber pilot, having held a civil licence. Sadly he too was killed in action in May 1941. Keith’s wife Marjorie continued running the business through the war as well as bringing up their three children.
Edward and his twin brother, who now lives in New Zealand, became qualified funeral directors in May 1959. The Victoria Road premises were used continuously as offices and workshops until it was felt they were no longer adequate for an up-to-date funeral director.
Edward’s son, Robert, qualified and joined the company in 1989 to continue the tradition in funeral services in time honoured fashion.
Robert is the sixth generation of this family run firm. A member of many clubs and societies in Tunbridge Wells, Robert plays an active role in serving communities in the area.
Hickmott and Son were early members of the National Society of Independent Funeral Directors and retain current membership of the Guild of Master Craftsmen and West Kent Chamber of Commerce and Industry.
A long standing member of E.R Hickmotts team, offering guidance and answering any questions you may have on our funeral services.
The present premises at 41 Grove Hill Road were acquired in 1962 and officially opened by the President of the National Association of Funeral Director, of which Hickmott’s are members.